This week, we continued on our Reading series, McGraw Hill Wonders, and our Writing Notebooks. We also did stations this week, where your child was using the iPads for eSpark and computers for DreamBox. They have also been learning about rhyming, tens frames, and counting.
We have also been keeping track of our behavior on the No Monkeying Around Clip Chart. If your child ends up on Pink at the end of the day, they get to pick something out of my Treasure Chest. If your child ends up on Yellow or Red, I will write a note on their chart as to why they are on that color. The students will be bringing home their No Monkeying Around Chart, which will identify the color they ended up on the end of the day. Please make sure to initial their chart everyday and return it the next day in your child’s binder.
- Language Arts - Our weekly theme this past week was “Use Your Senses”
- Read Aloud: Senses at the Seashore, A Feast of the Senses, & Poetry
- Vocabulary: explore, feast, finished, kneads, and senses
- Phonics: Letter/Sound: /Ss/
- Word Recognition: (high-frequency word): see
- Writer's Notebook - In Writers Workshop, your child is writing in their Writer’s Notebook Journal. We started talking about ideas and using details. We use the program Handwriting Without Tears to form the upper and lowercase letters correctly. The students started working on capital letters this week. Make sure to review the letters of the alphabet and how to write them.
- Math - This week, we began working on counting and identifying numbers. We are using ten frames to count and identify numbers. Understanding that number composition (tens and ones) is an important foundational concept that sets the stage for working with larger numbers.
- Science/Social Studies - We are discovering that the force that pulls us to the ground is Gravity! Together we worked as a team to Defy Gravity using a balloon and ourhands (touch – one of our 5 senses)
Please ask your child about the question below and comment with their answer.
How can your senses help you learn?